some questions about Income tax deductible expenses
I have a job in Mannheim and I have some questions about Income tax deductible expenses in 2012. It would be a great help if you can answer me the following questions (auf Deutsch ist OK): - 1. I am learning driving in a Fahrschule as my Employer suggested me to get a driving license. Frequent travelling will be required by my job and I must learn and get a Fahrschein soon for my job. The expense in Fahrschule+Prüfung is around 3000 Euro. Is this expense is tax deductible? I have read that if I need to do any training/study for my job, the expense for that training is tax deductible. Could you please confirm if the expense for Fahrschule is tax deductible? What documents I must get from my employer then? What documents I must get from the Fahrschule then?
- My parents are coming to Germany to visit us in May 2013. I support them financially. I have paid for their air-tickets (Flug-tickets) and for their hotel rooms in Germany when they stay here. I will pay for their bus/trum/train tickets during their stay here. Are all these expenses are tax deductible? What documents I must submit?
- Our apartment rent in Germany costs 500 Euro every month. We also have another rented apartment in our country (Bangladesh) which we use when we go to our country (Bangladesh) every year. We pay its rent and its monthly rent is around ~200 Euro. Is this cost is tax deductible?
- If we want to donate some of our income, is this tax deductible expense? Do you have a list of organizations of Germany for the donations? If I donate any organization in Bangladesh, is this expense is tax deductible?
- If we go to our home country (Bangladesh) this year for a short trip (Urlaub), are the travel expenses tax deductible? What documents I must submit?
- My younger brother wants to study in Germany. I want to sponsor his study in Germany. In that case I must pay around 7700 Euro for his study in Germany for one year. Is this expense is tax deductible?
Looking forward for your help,
Kosten für Fahrschule (Klasse B) sind regelmäßig nicht abziehbar.
Unterstützung von Angehörigen im Heimatland ist abziehbar, allerdings erfordert das einen ziemlich großen Bescheinigungsaufwand - Bestätigung der Behörden im HL, Übersetzung, Einkommensbescheinigung der unterstützten Person(en)
Besuche der Angehörigen sind nicht absetzbar
Die zwei Wohnungen dürften nicht absetzbar sein, weil der Lebensmittelpunkt und der Arbeitsort zusammenfallen - (hier aber nicht ganz sicher, vielleicht gibt's andere Wege)
Spenden an Gemeinnützige Organisationen sind absetzbar.
Heimreisen sind nicht absetzbar (gleiche Einschränkung wie bei den beiden Wohnungen)
Die Unterstützung des Bruders müsste abziehbar sein, da bin ich aber auch nicht sicher.
- driver's license: no. Such a license is not seen as training/ study for your job
- flight tickets for parents: no
- private housing in Germany: no
appartment in Bangladesh: no
donations: yes. But you should be sure, that you donate to a company that is accepted by german taxation rules and can give a accepted receipt to you
- financial support of parents: yes - not in all cases. Support means: they need the support to survive
- financial support of brother: yes, can be. Worth a try
You should look for a tax consultant (Steuerberater) for support in such things - or go to the Lohnsteuerhilfeverein in your hometown here in Germany. It is complex for Germans as well.